Andrew College is a private, liberal arts junior college located a few blocks off the town square in Cuthbert, Randolph County, Georgia, United States. It is associated with The United Methodist Church and is the ninth-oldest college in Georgia.
Andrew is home to four student residence halls, a full-service dining hall, a swimming pool, tennis courts, an updated student center, and an on-campus library. The campus also houses an intramural soccer field, and an off-campus baseball field hosts the baseball team. In addition to the outdoor athletic facilities offered, students also enjoy access to a newly remodeled Jinks Physical Education Complex with racquetball courts and a weight room.
Andrew specializes in the education of freshmen and sophomores, and the College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees. The College awards Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Music (AM), and Associate of Science (AS) degrees, and students can choose from more than 50 disciplines within these three degree programs.
The Charter of Andrew College, granted in 1854 by the Georgia Legislature, is the second oldest charter in the United States giving an educational institution the right to confer degrees upon women. Originally named Andrew Female College, Andrew operated as a women’s four-year college for 63 years. In 1917 Andrew became a junior college and in 1956 the institution became co-educational.
During the Civil War, classes were stopped and the College served as a hospital for wounded confederate soldiers. When classes resumed in 1866, a physical education course was added to the College’s curriculum, the first such course to be required of women in the South. In 1892, Andrew’s buildings burnt to the ground. However, the people of Cuthbert raised the funds necessary to build Old Main, the College’s landmark building, that very same year.