Clerk of Superior Court

The Clerk of Court is charged with the responsibility of attending all court sessions for Superior Court and to file and maintain accurate records of the proceedings. The Clerk also manages all revenue collections and disbursements for the Superior Court. The Clerk of Superior Court is a constitutional officer elected by the voters of Randolph County to serve a four-year term.

The Superior Court, Georgia's general jurisdiction trial court, has exclusive constitutional authority over felony cases, cases regarding title to land and equity, declaratory judgments, habeas corpus, mandamus, adoptions, name changes, divorces, child custody, and child support enforcement. The clerk is responsible for recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county. In addition, the clerk appoints notary publics and records business and trade names and military discharges.

The office of the Clerk of Court functions as the recorder for the county's records, filing legal records and making most of them available for public inspection. Here are a few of the types of documents that may be found in this office:

Court: Court records come from the three courts that operate in Randolph County: Superior, Probate, and Magistrate.

Liens (where fi fa’s are issued): Property tax fi fas, IRS and state tax liens, and judgments entered in civil cases may be found here. When a tax lien has been satisfied, it is marked "Cancelled and Satisfied," but it is still left on the books as a matter of public record.

Property: Deeds (warranty, quit claim, and security) and plats are not required by law to be filed, but making sure they are recorded may be a big protection to a property owner in the future should a dispute arise regarding ownership or the legality of a sale. See menu at right for more information on this subject.

Military discharges: Military discharges are also not required by law to be recorded, but doing so may prevent unnecessary problems should the original papers be lost. For more information, select Military Discharges on the menu at right.

Adoptions: Adoptions are confidential and records may not be viewed without a court order.
Trade name registrations: A business trade name may be legally recorded here by filling out a form available in this office. See menu at right for more information.

Name changes: Personal name changes are also part of the records that are maintained in this office.

This office also handles payments involving the records listed above, such as traffic tickets, child support, filing costs, etc.

Some of the more common services provided are:

  • Deed and Property Recording
  • UCC Recording
  • Plat Recording
  • Civil and Domestic Court Filing and Processing
  • Family Violence Filing and Processing
  • Adoption Filing and Processing
  • Notary Public Certificates and Management
  • Records Management and Security
  • Court Registry Management
  • Transfer Tax and Intangible Tax Collection
  • Lien Recording
  • Armed Services Discharge Recording
  • Criminal Court Filings and Processing
  • Garnishment Filing and Management
  • Appeals Filing and Processing
  • Trade Name Registration
  • Fine and Fee Collection and Disbursement